CMS Case Study: Meaningful Group Volunteering
“We were only there for a couple of hours, but we were able to do so much”
It was their first week on the job but that didn’t stop the latest intake of trainees at international law firm CMS from experiencing their first taste of employee volunteering – and meeting members of London’s diverse community to boot.
The 47 trainees were split into groups so they could give real value to the six charities they were helping. As we’ve often found smaller groups are more manageable for charities and provide a more meaningful experience for the volunteers. Here are some of the amazing things the volunteers did:
- Mentored a Mobile Seniors Group in tablet use, enabling them to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Developed the language skills of a disadvantaged group who’ve recently moved to the UK, which included an extended chat about football!
- Treated the residents of a sheltered housing facility to a garden makeover and an impromptu coffee afternoon in their new outdoor space.
- Improved a nature reserve so it can be enjoyed by local residents, including 3,500 school children a year who use it as an outdoor classroom.
- Provided a bumper arts and crafts session for the residents of a home for people with disabilities.
- Ran an IT and CV writing session at a drop-in centre, to help boost people’s confidence with computers and employment skills.
The volunteers were briefed before going off on their opportunity, with each team coming back at the end of the day to present to the whole group. What stood out for all the trainees was how much they had enjoyed talking to – and sharing skills – with people they’d likely never had an opportunity to meet.
Liliane Fozard, who helped run a CV-writing session, said:
Indeed, when applied carefully, employee volunteers can really enhance the services charities deliver to their clients. The session leader from the Mobile Seniors Group remarked:
Emily Catterwell, CSR Executive from CMS, remarked:
Do let us know your thoughts on the perfect recipe for a great corporate volunteering day.
Looking for some help?Book a Meeting
We'd love to help you to get more colleagues doing high impact volunteering
This article is part of Benefacto's KnowledgeHub. For more help and advice on building an incredible employee volunteering programme, use the navigation above or visit the KnowledgeHub Homepage